Welcome, Guest Login

The annual Blue Badge statistics have been released today and again show that only a small number of local authorities take enforcement of the scheme seriously. The annual Blue Badge survey, completed by local authorities in England, collates data on whether authorities have a policy for prosecuting misuse of the Blue Badge scheme and the number of prosecutions that occurred between 1 April 2016 and 31 March 2017. 

Only 56% of local authorities (85 authorities) in England stated they have a policy to tackle abuse of the scheme. However, of those without a policy, 52% are planning on implementing one in the future. 

In 2016/17 In England, there was a total of 1,131 individuals prosecuted for misuse of a badge. These prosecutions occurred in 61% of local authorities with a prosecution policy. The remaining 39% had no prosecutions despite having a policy. There were 565 prosecutions in London (50% of the total number of prosecutions made in England).  Similar to last year, the majority of prosecutions (98%) in England were targeted at a non-badge holder using another persons badge. Across England, the largest number of prosecutions were made by Leeds (157) and Hammersmith and Fulham (141). 

With the government currently consulting on widening the scheme to include those with hidden disabilities such as dementia and mental health problems People's Parking would like to see more local authorities tackling the abuse. 

People's Parking hopes to fulfil the need of disabled people unable to park on street by providing information on car parks which will meet their needs. 

Posted on 15 Feb 2018 at 12:15:05